Veteran journalist Salihin Rahim loves all things on wheels. Mechanically inclined and an avid D-I-Y guy, he finds pleasure in performing simple maintenance on his cars and bikes. His 16-year old Perodua Kancil 850 EX is a true family car that has faithfully served various members of his family over the years.
Vehicle owner details:
Make - Perodua
Model - Kancil 850 EX
Year of manufacture - 2001
Engine capacity - 847 cc
Current mileage - 220,370 km
Duration of ownership - 16 years
Frequency of usage - Daily
Previous brand of engine oil used - Castrol Magnatec
1. How would you describe your car?
An agile, mobile, reliable and easy to drive car
2. What is the best part (or what do you like best) about owning your car?
It is very cheap to maintain. The road tax is only RM20 a year, can you believe that? My wife was shocked when she went to JPJ to renew the road tax.
3. Please share a memorable moment you had with your car.
It is our family car – one that has been passed down from sister-in-law to my wife to my first daughter and now second daughter. It has been the car that helped each person start out in life by providing mobility
4. What kind of tender loving care (TLC) do you give to your car to ensure that it ages gracefully?
I service it according to schedule and use a good oil so that there are no breakdowns
5. What do you plan to do with your car in the near future?
We will keep it, especially after my wife had discovered the road tax is only RM20
6. What are your thoughts about Shell Helix High Mileage now that you have tried it? Will you recommend it?
Will definitely use and recommend it. I was sceptical at first but it has proven to be working! Have now seen HM’s reliability and proven performance