Main content | back to top
The range of Shell Cariphalte polymer-modified binders (PMBs) are designed to maximize resistance to permanent deformation and reduce fatigue of asphalt mixtures that are used in the most demanding locations.
Abilities stand out
Shell Bitumen has designed the Shell Cariphalte polymer modified bitumen range to provide solutions for all types of roads. Shell Cariphalte technology, the product of 40 years’ expertise and continual development, has earned us an international reputation. Our know-how, supply capability, service standards and reputation all help make Shell Bitumen an ideal partner.
The performance of the Shell Cariphalte range of polymer modified binders is the result of decades of worldwide experience as a leading bitumen supplier. These advanced products, manufactured by blending selected high performing polymers with carefully chosen base bitumen, are designed to offer improved adaptability, durability and reliability compared to conventional bitumen – to provide you with the solution you want for the job you need to do.
- Durability – Due to its resistance to permanent deformation and superior resistance to stress compared to conventional bitumen, Shell Cariphalte is the ideal choice for busy roads
- Reliability – The reassurance of knowing you have a reliable product created by one of the world’s leading technical specialists in bitumen manufacturing
- Adaptability – Specially formulated polymer modified bitumen gives Shell Cariphalte flexible qualities and an ability to adapt to demands the road may throw at you.
Shell Cariphalte is particularly suited to heavy traffic locations such as highways, main roads, airfields, overlaying concrete, roundabouts and bus lanes. Typically we’ve developed products for a combination of the following needs:
- for use in thin surfacing and stone mastic asphalt;
- for use in drainage (porous) asphalt applications;
- for an increased level of fuel resistance;
- for motor-racing circuits and test tracks;
- for asphalt mixtures designed for high resistance to permanent deformation and high flexibility; and
- for high-performance road applications in combination with Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement.
Shell Cariphalte polymer modified binders are manufactured by blending selected high performing polymers with carefully chosen base bitumen. This allows Shell Cariphalte to be used in challenging situations, where increased performance is required. It is formulated to offer improved resistance to deformation and fatigue of the asphalt and to provide better adhesion between bitumen and aggregate compared to conventional bitumen.
Shell Cariphalte FuelSafe - Answering the demands of fuel spillages
Shell Cariphalte Fuelsafe is today’s cost-effective alternative to conventional bitumen for locations that are prone to fuel damage.
Shell Cariphalte Fuelsafe is the high performance bitumen that has been specially designed to make asphalt surfaces last longer when exposed to the potential damage caused by spilt and leaking fuel.
Extensive experience and expertise in all aspects of bitumen technology, plus an ongoing commitment policy of continual product improvement, have led to the development of Shell Cariphalte Fuelsafe. It is a proven and cost-effective bitumen from Shell, that delivers at least three times more resistance to the costly effects of fuel leakage than conventional grades.
- Bus depots
- Ports and docks
- Transport yards.
Shell Cariphalte Racetrack - Race-proven high performance bitumen
Shell Cariphalte Racetrack is a high performance modified bitumen, specifically developed for use in asphalt mixtures on racing circuits. The high speed, temperature and torsional demands put on a racing circuit surface are extreme and Shell Cariphalte Racetrack has been developed to meet these demands. In this environment you need a bitumen that continually delivers winning results and Shell Cariphalte Racetrack has experience around the world on both Formula 1 and Moto GP racetracks.
A high performing bitumen
Shell Cariphalte Racetrack is a modified bitumen that has clear, high performance advantages over conventional binders.
Drawing on global experience with race circuits, Shell Cariphalte Racetrack has:
- Increased resistance to fretting through surface shear stress
- Improved workability of asphalt mixtures at paving temperatures
- Increased stiffness modulus at in-service temperatures
- Improved resistance to surface deformation.
The Shell brand has had a strong connection with motorsport, through ongoing involvement with Ferrari, Ducati and V8 racing. Now Shell has another world class, race winning formula on the track.
Shell Cariphalte Racetrack has experience globally of some of the world’s leading racing circuits including:
- Formula 1 circuit Sepang, Malaysia
- Formula 1 circuit Sakhir, Bahrain
- Formula 1 circuits Hockenheim and
- Nurburgring, Germany
- Ferrari’s test track, Fiorano, Italy
- Formula 1 circuit, Singapore.